Before you start:
- Consider engaging implementation services to streamline the setup and training processes.
- Within Xero, you will need to have Standard or Advisor access to the Group entity and all Satellite entities.
1. Creating your Xero 'Group' entity
To use Sync, you will need to set up a new Xero blue organisation that will act as your Group entity. This will be your consolidated entity used for invoicing, billing and contact management.
If you're using Xero Practice Manager you'll need to connect it to your Group entity. Xero has covered this in more detail here if you're unsure how to do this.
If you'd like to learn more about Group entities in Sync, check out our How Sync Works guide.
2. Configuring the Tracking Category and Options
In your Group entity, you will now need to create a Tracking Category with a Tracking Option for each of your Satellite entities.
- In the Accounting menu, select Advanced, then click Tracking categories.
- Click + Add Tracking Category.
- Under Tracking category name, enter the name of the tracking category. Enter your tracking option names under Category options.
- Click Save.
Note: We recommend labelling your Tracking Category 'Entity', and your Tracking Options should match the names of the Satellite entities, to avoid confusion when tagging invoices.
If you're using Xero Practice Manager, you'll also have to set up a Job Category for each of your Satellite entities.
- In the Business menu, select Settings > Job Settings.
- On the Job Settings screen, select Job Category > Add Job Category.
- Name the Job Category the same as each of your legal entities.
- Within each Job Category, select the Tracking Category you set up previously and the relevant Tracking Option to match the Job Category.
If you'd like to learn more about Tracking Categories and Options in Sync, check out our How Sync Works guide.
3. Customise invoice numbering
To avoid Invoice Number conflicts with existing invoices in the Satellite entities, we require you to edit the Invoice Numbering prefix to be unique. We recommend using your firm's initials as the Invoice Number prefix, e.g. ACME Corp -> AC, Invoice Numbers would then look like "AC-0001".
- Within XPM, in the Business menu, select Settings.
- Under Practice, click Practice Settings.
- Click Edit Number Sequences.
- Specify a new Prefix for invoices, following the above recommendation.
- (Optional) You may also like to reset the Next Number also.
- Click Save.
4. Align period lock dates
For Sync to create and update your invoices and contacts, you must ensure if your Group entity has Period Lock Dates set, that these are also set in the Satellite entities.
5. Aligning chart of accounts across entities
Although Sync will attempt to create missing accounts to ensure an invoice can be synced, the account may not reflect what's in the Group entity. Therefore, it's important to align your Chart of Accounts across your Group and Satellite entities.
We require every account, especially bank accounts, to have an Account Code. We use this code to map accounts between the Group and Satellite entities, therefore, if an account does not have a code we may not be able to sync it.
Note: Any invoice or payment to an account without an Account Code will not be able to sync.
To handle payments to bank accounts, we require these bank accounts to be created in the Satellite entities as current assets, with the same Account Code as the bank account in the Group entity.
Note: If a bank account with a code is used on a payment and we cannot find the matching account in the Satellite entity, we will create it in the Satellite entity as a current asset account.
6. Creating your Xero firm account
Sync allows you to use your Xero account to signup and sign in to the platform. Currently, we only allow one Xero account per firm; it is recommended to use your Xero firm account for use with Sync instead of a personal Xero account. If you don't currently have a firm account, we'd highly encourage you to create one.
Ensure the account you choose to use for Sync has access to your Group entity and Satellite entities, as this account will be used to connect the entities during the setup process.
You're all set!
Now it's time to setup your Sync integration. You can follow our Setting up Sync guide to ensure things are setup correctly.
If you have any questions regarding the above or need assistance with the preparation or setup process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article